Brazilian Cheese Puffs or Pão de Queijo
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk (1%, 2%, or Whole)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups tapioca flour*
- 4 ounces grated cheese (sharp white cheddar, cotija, parmesan, or whatever you choose)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chili powder, paprika, or other spice for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and spray a mini-muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin, filling each well about two-thirds full, and sprinkle with a bit of chili powder or other spice, if using. Bake in the preheated oven for about 14 to 15 minutes, until the breads puff up and turn a light golden brown. Transfer to a basket or serving platter and serve warm.
*Also called tapioca starch, tapioca flour can be found at any natural foods store and many supermarkets or it can be ordered online.