Thanks to my many generous, green-thumbed, food-loving friends, my kitchen cupboards are crammed year-round with homemade jams: persimmon butter, blackberry and poppy flower preserves, grapefruit marmalade, quince jam, green tomato and chili chutney (made by the coauthor), and many more. In fact, I own more gourmet artisan jams than I could ever possibly hope to consume via toast or crumpets alone. I’m not complaining! I’m just saying that I now face the challenge of trying to figure out creative ways to use those jams that don’t involve eating PBJs every day for the next three years.
A couple of months ago my gardening friends Sue and Frank gave me a jar of their famous Meyer lemon marmalade. But instead of adding it to the jam gallery, I decided right on the spot exactly what I was going to do with it: make a baked chicken with lemon marmalade glaze! (Sue and Frank are vegetarians though, so please don’t tell them about the corpsey thing I did with their delightful product.) Anyway, it turned out absolutely delicious. I self-servingly partnered the lemon chicken with an all-star lineup of some of my top favorite ingredients—feta cheese, pistachios, mint, and a touch of hot chili pepper—but people who are not me enjoyed it as well. Even my five-year-old niece declared it “the best dinner ever!” And it was super easy, too.
What are your favorite non-sandwich uses for jams and preserves? Share your ideas in the comments!Print
Baked Chicken with Lemon Jam Glaze
This lemony baked chicken dish is incredibly easy to make. It’s also a great way to use all of the jams, preserves, and marmalades that your crafty friends give you (or that you make yourself).
- One whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or spray oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup lemon marmalade
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (more or less, to taste)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim any excess fatty skin from the chicken pieces, if desired, and place in a single layer in a baking dish just large enough to hold all of the pieces.
- Brush or spray chicken with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, mix lemon jam and chili flakes in a small bowl.
- Remove chicken from oven, coat all pieces with the jam, and return to oven for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over the chicken, and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
- Top chicken with pistachios and mint. Drizzle extra sauce from the bottom of the pan over the chicken pieces and serve.